Rosary Index | Home
|The Power of the Group Rosary|
|Taken from The Secret of the Rosary by St. Louis de Montfort|
"There are several ways of saying the Holy Rosary, but that which gives Almighty God the greatest glory, does the most for our souls and which the devil fears more than any other, is that of saying or chanting the Rosary publicly in two groups....
"This way of praying is of the greatest benefit to our souls because:
1. "Normally our minds are far more alert during public prayer than they are when we pray alone.
2. "When we pray in common, the prayer of each one belongs to us all and these make but one great prayer together, so that if one person is not praying well, someone else in the same gathering who prays better may make up for his deficiency. In this way those who are strong uphold the weak, those who are fervent inspire the lukewarm, the rich enrich the poor, the bad are counted as good....
3. "Somebody who says his Rosary alone only gains the merit of one Rosary, but if he says it together with thirty other people he gains the merit of thirty Rosaries. This is the law of public prayer. How profitable, how advantageous this is!...
4. "Every time you say the Rosary in two groups you gain one hundred days' extra indulgence.
5. "Public prayer is far more powerful than private prayer to appease the anger of God and call down His Mercy and Holy Mother Church, guided by the Holy Ghost, has always advocated public prayer in times of public tragedy and suffering.
"In his bull on the Rosary, Pope Gregory XIII says very clearly that we must believe (on pious faith) that the public prayers and processions of members of the Confraternity of the Holy Rosary were largely responsible for the great victory over the Turkish navy at Lepanto which Almighty God granted to Christians on the first Sunday of October 1571....
6. "Finally, when people say the Rosary together it is far more formidable to
the devil than one said privately, because in this public prayer it is an
army that is attacking him. He can often overcome the prayer of an
individual, but if this prayer is joined to that of other Christians, the
devil has much more trouble in getting the best of it. It is very easy to
break a single stick, but if you join it to others to make a bundle it
cannot be broken. "In union there is strength." Soldiers join together in
an army to overcome their enemies; wicked people often get together for
parties of debauchery and dancing, and evil spirits join forces in order
to make us lose our souls. So why, then, should not Christians join
forces to have Jesus Christ present with them when they pray, to appease
Almighty God's anger, to draw down His grace and mercy upon us, and to
frustrate and overcome the devil and his angels more forcefully?"
St Michael's World Apostolate invites you to attend an upcoming Rosary Vigil or Sunday Holy Hour held at Our Lady of the Roses, Mary Help of Mothers Shrine. Click here for directions and the prayer service schedule